Monday, April 18, 2011

April 17 - PM

 
Just like home!!!

In my home Sundays are special days. My family and friends come together to cook, eat, share stories, and make memories. It is no different than the lovely day I spent today with Dr. Lou Yanguo and his wife Meixi.

After departing the hotel and the city, we traveled by car to the countryside first to pick strawberries, then to visit Dr. Lou's mother who prepared a yummy traditional lunch of noodles with tomato sauce. Her home is the oldest in the village and its layout is very similar to the layout of the Hutong homes we visited last week. After lunch we cleaned and diced a large bunch of Chinese vegetables which we would later use as filling for dumplings.

Next we went to Dr.Lou's home where we were joined by close family and friends who worked together to make hundreds of dumplings!  First, we rolled the dough paper thin, then placed just the right amount of filling in the center of the flattened dough, and finally   pinched the edges together - ready to be boiled.  Meixi is an excellent teacher and was very patient with this American student who may not yet be proficient at dumpling making but is certainly making progress! I'm sure it's hard for you to imagine me picking strawberries and making dumplings, but its true as you will see in the pictures!

Tomorrow I will finally meet the staff and students of Shijiazhuang No.1 School. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you!
 
 
 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment